Backpack or Suitcase?
Which is better when traveling abroad? Backpack or suitcase? When I picture myself traveling abroad, it has always been with a backpack. I think my main reason for this thought is because when I’m out traveling and maybe it’s too early to check-in at where ever I am sleeping the night, or maybe I am just stopping for a visit somewhere on the way to where ever I am staying, I think I would feel safer having my things strapped to my back rather than just pulling it behind me. After thinking for a while I am wondering “Is a backpack really best?” This is my list of benefits for each.
- It’s easier to get out what you need , don’t have to unpack entire bag.
- They are usually harder and stiffer keeping your things safe from the baggage handlers. I have heard that the hard suitcases tend to scratch and get bent up depending on the quality.
- It is easier to keep your clothes folded nicely. Your clothes will probably turn into a wrinkly mess in a backpack.
- No sweaty back!
- Hands are free to use for taking photos, etc. and you don’t have to worry bout someone stealing your luggage the second you need your hand for something.
- Can be heavy – you need to have the ability to lift it, and have a strong back. You don’t want to put your back out on your trip and be unable to do anything.
- Weight distributed on both sides of your body instead of awkward pulling one arm behind you.
- Carry easily over uneven terrain or climbing up stairs.
My recommendations :
For suitcases I like the hard-cases the best. I feel like my stuff is safer inside them, however after reading reviews on amazon they tend to scratch and dent easily. There are covers that you can buy, although I’m unsure of how well they work so make sure to look for one with good ratings and that is of good quality.
For backpacks I think pockets are useful, but I found it hard to find a good backpack with many pockets. Another option is putting in collapsible packing cubes, which let you organize what you pack. This does not solve the disadvantage of having to unpack everything to get something at the bottom of your back though.
I think which one you bring with you mainly depends on where you are going and if you know where you planning on staying or if you are just traveling on a whim. If you have plans then I think a suitcase is probably the best choice. However, if you like to travel on a whim and you don’t make reservations ahead of time a backpack is probably a better choice. Walking around a strange city with a suitcase probably isn’t the safest choice.
What is your opinion on backpack or suitcase? I’d love to hear from you below in the comments!